March 2, 2012

Leucistic Red-tailed Hawk

So, I have been a little obsessed lately.  Since spotting that beautiful white hawk, I have been bound and determined to see it again and identify the type of bird it is.  Well, I hit the jackpot.  I have seen the white beauty two more times and the last time, I got some phenomenal photos!!!


I also put a lot of photos out to a lot of people to help me with the identification.  Well, the authority on birds, Cornell University answered.  They confirmed for me that this beauty is a leucistic red-tailed hawk.


Enter biology lesson here:  Leucisim is not albinism.  It is a condition where a genetic mutation has happened that causes a reduction in melanin (what gives the feathers color).  The bird when affected with this will either have pale plumage or white plumage.  It can affect it's whole body or just parts. You can read more about this condition here.


Now I promise I am not just going to fill my blog with photography, I am working on a preschool class craft and a stained glass window.  Both of which are taking a bit of my time and I am not ready to post anything about them just yet.  Also, bird hunting has been forcing my little guy to take naps in the afternoon, because he is being confined in the car with me.  Colton is attempting to give up naps and I'm just not ready for that.


I hope everyone has a tremendous weekend.  It will be a busy one for me, but hopefully by the end of this weekend, I will have a stained glass window to show for it!

3 comments:

  1. The pictures are incredible. I can't wait to see the window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the window is going to take a little more longer. Ugh! I'm so close to being done with it and I am getting very anxious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow- I've never seen one or even knew of their existence. thanks
    david

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...